Friday, December 7, 2007

Do You Hear What I Hear?

As a singer and a non-Christian, I feel it's my duty to discuss the state of Christmas music this holiday season. There are some Christmas carols and songs that are the most beautiful music in the world. Others...not so much.

Here are my favorites:

O Magnum Mysterium
-Because everything sounds better in Latin. Also, each voice part has its own separate melody, it's not just 3 voices accompanying the sopranos.

O Holy Night
-I first heard this song in Home Alone and immediately loved it. It's a carol that I hear rarely and have always wondered why this is?

Winter Wonderland
-Not technically a Christmas song, but you only hear it from September - Christmas (you know, the holiday season).

Here are songs that I truly dislike, and want to stick a fork in my brain and swirl it around when I hear it in the mall:

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time
-Much like the song that never ends, it gets in your head and stays there. UGH!

Do You Hear What I Hear?
-No, obviously, cause you think that this is something I should be subjected to.

The Little Drummer Boy
-May have to be moved out of this category as Peter from Family Guy changed it to: "I have these gifts for thee, they're up in my bum."



What songs do you give a thumbs up/thumbs down to?

4 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Agreed. I also hate So This is Christmas (or whatever that one is titled) and love What Child Is This. Oh, and I hate Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer.

Anonymous said...

do you hear what i hear...makes me think of the movie Gremlins and freaks me out.

astral said...

I recently discovered a song called "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas". Very funny. I do not like the Bruce Springsteen's version of "Santa Claus Coming to Town".

Juggling Frogs said...

I'm so sorry, but you've been tagged.

Please consider this OPTIONAL and don't hate me.

Happy Chanukah!