Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Perfect Storm

I'm not referring to the possible 20 inches we're in the midst of receiving.  Instead, I'm talking about the fact that I've been hit with the illness and death of many loved ones.

My uncle died this morning.  We thought it would take much longer, but his numbers had been steadily decreasing and he went into multiple organ failure earlier this week.  He lived a long, fruitful life -- he got to see his own children grow up, marry and have their own children.
JD and I will try to drive up tomorrow in order to attend my uncle's funeral on Monday. I just feel like I'll be better off having my own car there.


My dad is devastated.  I did not have a close relationship with my uncle, but my heart aches for my father.  The infection in my father's leg seems to be lessening, although it is by no means gone.  My mother says that his leg looks 50% better than what they originally dealt with at the ER.

My Fairy Godmother (my therapist of many years who I'm quite close to) told me last night that she likely has liver cancer.  We will find out after the new year if this is certain and what can be done about it.  I have dreaded losing her for a long time.  I don't want to face this.  She has had such a profound affect on my life and I don't want to lose her.  The good thing is that we will have time to say goodbye.

25 comments:

calliope said...

oh honey. what heavy stuff you are wading through. I am so sorry for your loss and the possible diagnosis of your therapist/friend.

xo

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry for this storm of pain/hurt. Hoping for a better 2010 and a better diagnosis for your fairy godmother.

Jo said...

Sending tons of hugs and bloggy love your way.

Jo

JW Moxie said...

I'm so sorry, Jen. Warmth, hugs, and peace to you. (((hugs)))

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking of you and sending you strength as you go through this.

Meghan said...

I'm sorry about your uncle, dad, and therapist. Hopefully your dad's leg will continue to heal and your fairy godmother will get a good prognosis. I'll be thinking of you. Safe driving tomorrow!!

Amanda said...

I am so sorry for you losses and possible pending loss. (((hugs)))

Rebecca said...

Aw sweetie! I'm so sorry. No time is a good time to lose anyone or hear a possible bad diagnosis, but for it to come near the holidays just seems to magnify the feelings of loss. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. Sending much love and prayers for your family. ((((HUGS))))

R.J. said...

Sending you strength and love. Sorry to hear about all this; it just isn't fair. Drive safe in the big DC storm.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Oh Jen--I am so sorry about your uncle. Is there anything I can do for you while you're away? And I am sending good thoughts to your therapist. I hope she receives good news in the new year.

annacyclopedia said...

I'm so sorry, Jen. Even one of these things would be tremendously difficult. All of them together is just overwhelming. I'm holding you in my thoughts as you go through it all.

Anonymous said...

So sorry, I am sending you good energy.

quadmom said...

Oh no, I am so sorry for the loss of your uncle and the pain this is causing your father. I will have your therapist in my thoughts and I hope that she does not have liver cancer.

You are going through so much right now ... I hope things start to look up for you soon. *hugs*

LJ said...

Ugh to all of it, I am so sorry. Let me know if I can do anything at all.

Me said...

So much to go through all at once. I'm so sorry. ((HUGS))

Rotten said...

That's a lot to take in at such a joyous time of year. I am so sorry. Sending you hugs!

Jessica White said...

Oh sweetie *hugs* I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle and all of the things happening with your family/friends. Hang in there...

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

MoonNStarMommy said...

I am so sorry for your loss, for your dad's heartache, for his leg being sick (my step-dad's is too) ... and we can still hope and pray that your Fairy Godmother doesn't have any sort of cancer... {{BIG HUGS}}

~ICLW~

Somewhat Ordinary said...

I'm so, so sorry. No one needs this much shit. I'm sorry!

Unknown said...

i am sorry your family is going through such a hard time, i hope that your father gets well soon.

i do admire how strong you are being though.
iclw hugs!

Half of a Duo, Raising a Duo said...

You are dealing with a LOT.

You have a lot of wading to do.

A lot of prayer and pondering.

My prayers are for you, with you, as you make it through this (and you will).

Hugs,

Photogrl said...

So much for one person to deal with.

I'm sorry.

Holding you close in my thoughts and prayers....

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry my friend, I know what its like to feel that everything is piling up and that it is too much to bear.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

xxx

Quiet Dreams said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your uncle and about FG's illness. Holding you (and her) in my heart.

Kelly said...

I'm sorry for your pain right now. I hope that you are able to find some peace.

ICLW.