Tuesday, October 26, 2010

40 Weeks

Well, we're here.  No baby yet, but tons of excitement.

Early Saturday morning, I was having a lot of "contractions" that were very close together (1:30 apart for about an hour).  I knew it couldn't be the real thing because the contractions were unpleasant but not painful.  (After conferring today with my midwife and a friend who is a doula, it's likely that the contractions were my cervix effacing as opposed to dilating). 

What was worse than the contractions was the nausea.  It was back in full force.  It's been so long since I've had nausea (and it was also 3 AM), that I couldn't remember what to do and I am the Nausea Queen!  My body's response to any stimulus is nausea!  I was embarrassed for myself.  After finally realizing I needed to eat, I had a few small pretzels and made myself a cuppa tea.  The pretzels didn't help much, but once I started drinking the tea, my stomach seemed to settle down.

I've worried that the nausea would return for labor, and I guess I have confirmation now that it will.  I've spoken with both JD and our doula about this concern, stressing the need to make sure that I'm hydrating enough so that we can avoid the need for IV hydration.  We're also going to make sure to pack a few things that help me with nausea to bring in to the hospital.

So, that brings us to today.  At the midwives' office today, my blood pressure was pretty high for me (142/90).  I had my first cervical check -- one of the most painful things I've ever experienced.  I was 50% effaced and not dilated at all (maybe that's why the check was so painful).  Baby's heartrate was steady in the 150s.  A second bp check was still high, so I got sent to the hospital for a non-stress test and bloodwork.

I got hooked up to a fetal monitor and blood pressure cuff and the nurse had me lay down flat on my back on the gurney.  I wasn't able to sleep (there were so many alarm bells going off all over the place - not from me) but I was able to just lay down and rest.  They had me laying down for so long that my left hip started hurting (as it has done throughout the last couple months), so I managed to flip myself over to my side.  Apparently, my bp stayed high the whole time until I turned to my side, when it came down immediately into the normal range and stayed there.  Yeah, so I guess what they say about avoiding laying on your back when you're heavily pregnant is true and maybe the labor/delivery nurse should know that.  You know, just maybe.

My bloodwork and urine dip came back normal, so the midwife thought this was probably just pregnancy-induced hypertension.  I think it was life-induced hypertension, as they are currently replacing all of the sprinkler heads in our building, and they were supposed to come this morning and tomorrow* and you have to move everything 2 feet away from each sprinkler head so my house looks like a tornado went through it, and it's a sucky thing to go through when you're in full-on nesting mode.  There's been a couple of crying jags due to the stress and emotions and the drama of it all.  Of course, the contractors didn't even show up today.  I'm going to go down to the office tomorrow morning and see if our unit can be put on the priority list to get done because we can't clean up the place until after they are done and it's at least a 2-day process.

So, I get to do a 24-hour urine catch (hooray) and go back in to see the midwives on Thursday.

The hospital was packed today (Snowpacalypse babies in da house!) and triage was especially swamped.  Given the crowd, they are booking an induction date for me in case we need it.  I'm hoping we don't.

*The scheduling of the sprinkler work was not my idea.  The process started around Labor Day and they should have gotten to our unit by the end of September.  Unfortunately, there have been a lot of hiccups in the process and they've only gotten to us this week.


Anonymous said...

I was wondering how you are doing. I am glad everything is going okay, and I hope you get to have the birth experience you desire!

Melissa G said...

Wooo! Forty weeks!!!

Jen, I'm so thrilled for you - can't wait to hear your good news.

Hope the nausea plays nice - it's almost over. =)

Trinity said...

Boo to surprise nausea! As if the whole "I am contracting or not?" bit wasn't anxiety-provoking enough, wicked puke-vibes just make it so much more nerve-grinding. And, um, yes: your L&D nurse should have totally advised you to lay on your left side--I've watched the nurses I work with scold their patients for not listening to them when they say to do so.

I can't believe you're 40 weeks, mama! Pretty soon you'll be crossing #28 off of your list over there! So exciting!

Bean said...

Wow, so glad to hear from you and I can't believe you're at 40 weeks either. I'll be waiting anxiously for news now! Sorry about the nausea, glad you have a plan for dealing with it and I hope it won't be too bad. Keep us posted!

~Jess said...

Only a bit longer now :-) Unless you were like me and go a week overdue, which I hope and pray isn't the case for you. My greatest fear was having to be induced.

Hopefully those sprinkler guys get their stuff together and get done soon!

Thinking of you!

Meghan said...

40 weeks, yeah you!

Sorry the nausea is back, but from what I've heard, it means the end is near.

And I thought you weren't delivering at the hospital? I'm dreading how insane the hospital is going to be, really hoping I can still score a private room. Maybe we'll be there together ;)

N said...

Exciting exciting!

Somewhat Ordinary said...

Soon, my friend, soon!!