Saturday, January 2, 2010

Books I Read in 2009

One of my favorite pastimes is to read.  I read anything and everything and I think that the 136 books on my 2009 reading list demonstrate that fact.  My favorites of the year are in bold.  What were your fave reads from 2009?

Cookbooks
Bob's Red Mill Baking Book by John Ettinger

The Sustainable Kitchen by Stu Stein
Gluten-Free Baking by Rebecca Reilly
The Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook by Alice Waters
Barefoot Contessa at Home by Ina Garten
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten
Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults by Connie Sarros
Cooking Free by Carol Lee Fenster
I'm Just Here for the Food by Alton Brown
A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking by Marcy Goldman
Jewish Holiday Kitchen by Joan Nathan
Rachael Ray 30-Minute Get Real Meals by Rachael Ray
The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp
Passover by Design by Susie Fishbein
Well Preserved by Eugenia Bone
The Bread-Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
Real Food for Mother and Baby by Nina Planck
Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck
Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book by Rachael Ray
The Gluten-Free Gourmet Makes Dessert by Bette Hagman
The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread by Bette Hagman
Light Jewish Holiday Desserts by Penny Wantuck Eisenberg
The Kosher Billionaire's Secret by Stacy Cohen

Fiction
The Devil's Queen by Jeanne Kalogridis
The Queen's Mistake by Diane Haeger
A Rogue of My Own by Johanna Lindsay
The Defector by Daniel Silva
The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly
The Flanders Panel by Arturo Perez-Reverte
I am Madame X by Gioia Diliberto
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon
The Last Coyote by Michael Connelly
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Killing Floor by Lee Child
The Secret Bride by Diane Haeger
The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent
Echo Park by Michael Connelly
Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson
The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
Rashi's Daughters - Book III: Rachel by Maggie Anton
Angels Flight by Michael Connelly
Austenland by Shannon Hale
Lost Light by Michael Connelly
The Narrows by Michael Connelly
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Nothing to Lose by Lee Child
The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff
Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child
The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory
A Fatal Waltz by Tasha Alexander
No Choice but Seduction by Johanna Lindsay
Luxe by Anna Godbersen
Temptation by Jude Devereaux
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn
And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander
Capital Crimes by Stuart Woods
Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson
Trunk Music by Michael Connelly
Ex Libris by Ross King
New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
The Known World by Edward Jones
The Golden Tulip by Rosalind Laker
A Good Year by Peter Mayle
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
The Triumph of Deborah by Eva Etzioni-Halevy
The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted by Elizabeth Berg
To the Tower Born by Robin Maxwell
The Garden of Ruth by Eva Etzioni-Halevy
The Darcys & the Bingleys by Marsha Altman
Protect and Defend by Vince Flynn
The White Queen by Philippa Gregory
The King's Grace by Anne Easter Smith
The Black Echo by Michael Connelly
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Stealing Athena by Karen Essex
The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly
The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier
The Black Ice by Michael Connelly
The Queen's Handmaiden by Jennifer Ashley
The Temptation of the Night Jasmine by Lauren Willig
Silk by Alessandro Baricco
A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander
Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
Midwives by Chris Bohijalian
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
The Closers by Michael Connelly

Infertility
Avoiding Miscarriage by Susan Rousselot
Natural Solutions to Infertility by Marilyn Glenville
After Miscarriage by Krissi Danielsson
Miscarriage: Why It Happens and How to Reduce Your Risks by Henry Lerner
Tears of Sorrow, Seeds of Hope by Nina Beth Cardin
Navigating the Land of IF by Melissa Ford

Non-Fiction
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
The Accidental Billionaires by Ben Mezrich
Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden
In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Knitting by Nancy Queen
The Great Influenza by John M. Barry
The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin
The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam
Comfort Me with Apples by Ruth Reichl
The Judgment of Paris by Ross King
Why Women Should Rule the World by Dee Dee Myers
The Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start by Cheryl Forberg
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Food Matters by Mark Bittman
Walking the Bible by Bruce Feiler
The Assault on Reason by Al Gore
Flapper by Joshua Zeitz
The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin
Made from Scratch by Jenna Woginrich
Fresh Food from Small Spaces by R.J. Ruppenthal
How to Keep Kosher by Lise Stern
Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison
Do Travel Writers Go to Hell? by Thomas Kohnstamm
Kosher for Everybody by Trudy Garfunkel
So Many Books, So Little Time by Sara Nelson
Smile When You're Lying by Chuck Thompson
Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson
Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynn Truss
Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel
Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Cambell-McBride
Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
The Case for Israel by Alan Dershowitz
The Lost Painting by Jonathan Harr
To Begin Again by Naomi Levy
The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
Going Kosher in 30 Days by Rabbi Zalman Goldstein
Julie and Julia by Julie Powell
The Indifferent Stars Above by Daniel Brown
I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson
Living Like Ed by Ed Begley
Alone Together: Making an Asperger Marriage Work by Katrin Bentley

Religious Works
The Bible (King James Version)
The Book of Psalms (ed. Robert Alter)
The Jewish Woman's Prayer Book by Aliza Lavie
The Committed Marriage by Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis
Talking to G-D by Naomi Levy

14 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I think I should start keeping a list of all my books. It is a really good idea.

Kelly said...

I've been working on a post like this myself and just didn't get around to it yet.

Seriously though, WOW! I thought I read a lot! Impressive! I'll use your list when I need new books. :)

babygaga said...

wow... you read ALOT, I thought I was an average reader, but it seems I´m not even close to average if you are one of the top readers.

Liddy said...

WOW!

WOW!
WOW!

I need to read more. Awesome list of books. Best book I read in 2009- How We Decide.

SassyCupcakes said...

It's such a clever idea to record the books you've read. I loved Julia & Julia too, I thought the movie missed a lot of the best parts.

quadmom said...

WOW you read a LOT!! I really enjoyed Outliers and must admit I read the Twilight books as well hehe. I am bookmarking this post for reading suggestions when I have to go on bedrest!!

Rotten said...

WOW. I am so jealous that you read that much!!

Jessica White said...

I am absolutely dumbfounded by how many books you read this last year: WOW! I thought I was doing well with my peasley 30 or so books.

Definitely some on your list look interesting and I'm going to steal them for my TBR list :-)

Coffeegrljapan said...

I am so jealous! I used to average about 75 books/year. But this past year I only managed maybe 25 :( Luckily those included Lee Child's 1st and 2nd books in the Reacher series (I had read one book out of sequence years ago) and I'm loving his gripping writing. Also, I read Kate Atkinson's Case Histories which I quite enjoyed. Maybe my favorite book of 2009 was Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book" - so unlike anything else I've read.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Do you track your books through a website like Goodreads.com or shelfari?

Coffeegrljapan said...

Umm - nevermind my earlier question! Okay, so I'm new around here and just saw the shelfari widget on your blog.

Also, have you read Trans-sister Radio by Bohjalian? I haven't read Midwives but *loved* Trans-sister Radio.

Melissa G said...

Holy Crow woman, that list would take me a decade to get through. Even if I was unemployed.

Jamie said...

Thank you so much for this! One of my goals to to read more this year. I love it so much and it makes me so happy and I hate that I don't make more time for it.

Also delurking to say hello!

LJ said...

Holy moly. You're so good! I'm too addicted to my computer to read real books enough. I tend to do it more on vacations or long plane rides. I'm so impressed.

Nixy said...

This is awesome! I'm so impressed with how much you read.

I think I'm going to start keeping track of what I read as well, this is such a great idea. :)