Thursday, August 19, 2010

More on Records and EFM Stuff

So, I didn't have to get all lawyer-y on my doc's office - I just asked if a letter requesting my records for my own use would be sufficient, and they said yes.  Thank goodness.  I faxed in that letter yesterday afternoon, and I plan to follow up with them first thing tomorrow morning.  (I'll be picking up the records myself and delivering them by hand to the midwives' office to avoid any screw ups.  Well, to avoid screw ups by other people -- never discount my own ability to mess things up).  After getting off the phone, I basked in my utter rebelness, did a victory dance and told my assistant that "I fight for the forces of justice and goodness."

In answer to a few commenters' questions regarding the availability of a compromise with my doc, unfortunately, there really isn't one.  My doc wants me to be on continuous monitoring from the second that I walk in the hospital doors.  She wasn't even thrilled with the idea of my getting off of the monitor for bathroom breaks, let alone only being on the monitor for 10 or 20 minutes out of every hour.  Also, as I mentioned yesterday, at my hospital, if you're on the monitor, you're in the bed, and that's that.

I've got some issues with the whole idea of continuous monitoring in general (e.g., the monitors are notoriously inaccurate, and are even more so for overweight women), but am willing to do continuous monitoring with a wireless system, that would enable me to move freely during labor, while giving my care provider the information that they would like.

Hopefully, this will all work itself out in the coming days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer that they won't compromise, but yay for getting your records! Sounds like the midwives will be more in line with what you're wanting from a birth experience. Hopefully all will work out! :)

Amanda said...

Hooray for standing up for yourself! I hope they are quick and thorough with getting your records together!

Meghan said...

I'm sorry you're not happy there. And now I'm nervous. I definitely don't want to be strapped to a monitor the whole time. I wonder if it's a new policy, I don't remember it being an issue last time...

Good luck with the midwife search...and good for you for advocating for yourself and knowing what you want! Too many people would have let themselves be pressured into something