Friday, June 13, 2008

What I'm Reading Now

Nothing much is going on in my life, but I am under orders to produce creative and humorous blog posts to entertain BFF, who is on a business trip and bored out of her skull.

I started a new rule regarding my Library Thing catalog, i.e., that I would only add this book to my library once I had it finished. Periodically, this keeps me racing through books so that I can add another to my library. (Actually, I have two. One for 2007. One for 2008.) Why does any of this matter? I don't know. It just does. Ride along with me...

Here is the list of books I'm currently reading/listening to:
The Romanov Bride by Robert Alexander
The Alienist by Caleb Carr
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
By Order of the President by W.E.B. Griffin

Here's what's on my immediate to-be-read list (i.e., books already checked out or purchased and in my possession to be read):
Bee Season by Myla Goldberg
RESOLVE's new infertility book
Essential Torah by George Robinson
Out by Natsuo Kirino
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue
Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
The Hard Way by Lee Child
Short Straw by Stuart Woods
The Committed Life by Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis
The Committed Marriage by Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis
The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani

My full non-immediate to-be-read list (that is, books that I would like to read, but don't have in my immediate possession) is waaaaaay too long for a blog post. Here are a few of them:
The new Vince Flynn book (new to me)
Essential Talmud by Adin Steinsaltz
The Penderwicks (as recommended by Jen) by Jeanne Birdsall
The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan
The Day the World Came to Town by Jim DeFede
Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich
Saved by Jack Falla

It would be so much cooler if I didn't have to work, or sleep, or eat, cause then I could just read all day, every day.

6 comments:

Io said...

I'm with you - I wish I could just read all the time.

HereWeGoAJen said...

I love books. I need more of them. I've got my four bookshelves set up in the kitchen (it is a big kitchen) and I am going to unpack the rest of the books tonight. :)

Marie said...

I feel like I need to broaden my reading horizons. I am an author snob and I only read fiction. Maybe when you read a really good one you can mention it in your blog so that some of your readers (me,me,me)can explore some new reading material.

Unknown said...

i read the romanov bride, what do you think of it?

Jen said...

I'm right there with you - I love reading. I can burn through 2 or 3 books per week.

Good list!

Anonymous said...

I love reading as well. I saw that you were reading RESOLVEs new infertility book, I haven't had a chance to read that. I am looking for another good book to read about infertility. Any recommendations?

I also recommend "The Undomestic Goddess" I am reading it for my book club, it is a light read.