Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What's Goin' On

So, time flies when you are accomplishing little at work. I'm behind on posting and there's a bunch of topics to write about.

First, thank you for the encouragement, wishes, hopes and prayers for us sent from my last post. It helps to know that there are good thoughts being sent into the universe in our direction.

John Dear and I had a joint session with both of our therapists on Sunday to discuss the IVF vs. IUI topic. I think it went as well as I thought it might. JD did not agree at the session to pursue donor sperm; on the other hand, he did say that he would consider it.

I think that JD's therapist made a lot of persuasive points for JD. The most significant point was in noting that JD had fears about being a father in general and that these concerns would not be erased if we happened to use JD's sperm. To paraphrase the good doctor, "JD, you're a worrier. It doesn't matter whose genes this kid has, you're going to worry about it."

So, in the past few days, I've seen JD continuing to wrestle with the issue, but he seems to be settling down more on the donor sperm side. He's begun to actively talk about what he would do with our kids, how they would play on the computer together, how The Boy and our kids would get along and even asked me about specifics of how the IUI and donor sperm process works. I think that these are good signs and things are looking up.

6 comments:

Jessica White said...

I'd said those are very good signs that things are looking up: May they continue to do so!

None of this is easy, throwing in donor gametes makes it that much harder. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

I am glad things with the therapist helped John Dear process some of this. It is tough for us to process, and I think it is harder on men.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Awesome! I'm glad you two are coming together with your decisions.

annacyclopedia said...

I am so glad that JD is opening up to the possibility of DI, and it sounds like his curiosity is a really good sign. Mostly I'm glad you're able to find some common ground where you can have a discussion and dream about the future. Good news indeed.

Anonymous said...

Yay, I love it when things start looking up.

HUGS
xxx

Shelby said...

Good to hear you guys had a great joint session. You have some things to work through, big decisions to make, but you'll get there. Keeping you in my thoughts!