Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy Fourth of July


Wishing you a wonderful holiday!!

John Dear, The Boy and I will be grilling over at SIL's house with that side of the family. SIL lives out in the country (chickens, ducks, and no streetlights) so JD is hot to light some fireworks. We bought some yesterday and have yet to blow up anything or any body parts -- my chief worry.

Have managed to talk Gramie and Elle (my sister) into coming, so I've got familial backup and support. The Fourth has always been a pretty big holiday in my mother's family, so I'm glad that I can be with Gramie today.

It is on this day that I especially miss my Grampie. He was warm, caring and funny. He taught me to love history and travel. Grampie served in the Marines in the South Pacific during WWII


_______________________
In honor of the day, I have made Gramie's Ladyfinger Cheesecake for the first time. While it doesn't look as nice and neat as when Gramie makes it, I'm sure we'll be lapping up the crumbs anyways. :) Will try to post a picture when I can.

**Gramie's Ladyfinger Cheesecake**
Serves 10-13, depending on who's eating
11 oz. cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1 pint heavy cream
1 Tbsp. vanilla
3 packages of ladyfingers
1 can cherry pie filling (can also use strawberry or blueberry)

1. Blend cream cheese and sugar together. (Use a standing or hand electric mixer!)
2. Whip cream and vanilla till soft peaks form.
3. Combine cheese mixture and cream mixture.
4. Line up ladyfingers in a springform pan, first around the edges and then the bottom. You can use torn ladyfingers to fill spaces in the bottom.
5. Pour half of the cheese-cream mixture into the pan, spreading to make even.
6. Top with a layer of ladyfingers, then pour the rest of the mixture in.
7. Pour the pie filling onto the top of the cheese filling, carefully spreading to cover the top, and leave the ladyfingers uncovered.
8. Chill for several hours or overnight.

No comments: